On 11 October 1949 the first secondary school to be built in Durban North – an upmarket suburb in the eastern seaboard city of Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa – was officially opened.
Called Durban North High School, the brand new school housed 215 boys and
girls under the leadership of Principal George Armstrong. By 1953, a decision was taken by the Department of Education to separate boys’ and girls’ schools. Netta Manning was appointed the first principal of the newly formed Northlands Girls’ High School. While the school for the boys was still under construction in nearby Kensington Drive, the boys occupied the upper floor of the original building and the girls the lower floor.
On 1 October 1953, the boys, led by headmaster Percy Hardaker, left the school
and marched to what was to be known as Northlands Boys’ High School – the girls lined the route, waving goodbye.
In 1962, the school was enlarged with the building of the hall, the gymnasium, a home economics department, a new laboratory and several classrooms.
In 1971 parents were asked to contribute R10 000 toward the cost of a new
swimming pool which opened on 7 October 1972.
Northlands Girls’ High School continued to grow and prosper and by the end of 1976 a tuck shop, team-teach room, biology and science labs, art room, new classrooms, gallery to the hall, the pavilion and a tennis court were completed.
Since then, the school has gone from strength to strength to become a leading girls’ high school not only in KwaZulu-Natal but in South Africa as well.
Northlands Girls’ High School has been led by excellent people:
- Netta K Manning 1953 – 1963
- Edna Watts 1963 – 1973
- Elizabeth Gutridge 1974 – 1977
- Elizabeth Hartmann 1978 – 1991
- Jean McCann 1992 – 1997
- Heather Mulraney July 1997 – December 1997 (Acting)
- Ann Vat 1998 – 2015
- Roshni Moonsamy May 2015 – December 2015 (Acting)
- Andrew Graaf 2016 – April 2018
- Roshni Moonsamy April 2018 (Acting)